Summer road trips are a great time for family bonding and we all know they can be stressful as well. With several “Are we there yet”s, close to no elbow room, and who can deny those intoxicating aromas coming from the new member in the family and or those gas station burritos we all knew was not the best decision. Those are details of the trip that we can hardly control however take control of what you can by making your vehicle road trip ready. Avoid enjoying the scenic views that the side of the highway offers with our check list!
- Inflation pressure at least once a month (don’t forget to check your spare)
- Inspect for excessive or uneven wear. Do the penny test! Place a penny in the thread with Lincoln’s head upside down. If you can see the top of Lincoln’s head, your vehicle needs new tires. If you find uneven wear across the tires thread, it means your tires need rotation and/or your wheels need to be aligned before you travel.
- Brake lights
- Turn signals
- Emergency flashers
- Interior lights
- Trailer lights
- Coolant level and servicing. Check your coolant level to make sure the reservoir is full. In addition, if your coolant is clear, looks rusty, or has particles floating in it, it is time to have your cooling system flushed and refilled.
- Power steering
- Windshield washer fluids
Belts and Hoses
- Condition and fittings. Look under the hood and inspect all belts and hoses to make sure there is no signs of bulges, blisters, cracks, or cuts in the rubber.
- Check all hose connections to make sure they’re secure
- Check for ware and tear on both sides.
- Check A/C and performance.